It’s been ten years since the shocking death of one of America’s favorite, as well as one of its greatest, tv dads of all time. James Avery became immortal as Philip Banks aka “Uncle Phil.” He was able to exude intelligence, humor, heart, strength and compassion in every episode, making him the perfect successor to America’s dads of the eighties such as Cliff Huxtable, Steven Keaton, Jason Seaver, Philip Drummond etc. Throughout all six seasons of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air Uncle Phil dished out one memorable and inspiring piece of advice after another. Many life lessons were learned from the lovable giant that any kid who grew up on the show took to heart and perhaps even still use today. Here are six life lessons I learned from the master.
6. How to clap back when someone takes a shot at you.
5. That taking help doesn’t make you any less of a man.
4. How to stand up against corruption with your wife like a boss.
3. How to handle an arrogant jerk that insults your mother.
2. That using your privilege and success to help your cause doesn’t make you a sell out.